Monday, July 21, 2008

Family History Sleuth

Whenever I'm in the Salt Lake area I try to take a day and spend it at the LDS Family History Library.  Today was my day.  The best part about it this time was that my sister, Tina, came with me.  I had previously decided to focus my attention this time on the Drewes branch of my family (the maiden name of my great grandmother pictured here).  The Drewes family resided in Hoboken, New Jersey during the late 1800's and the beginning of the 1900's.  
My sister and I gathered up some of the films that we had decided to use to begin our search and were happily reeling away at them on the microfilm machines.  We were discussing the different counties that we were investigating and all of the sudden a voice from the other side of my sister said, "Are you searching in Hudson County?  I'm from there."  Turned out this guy was on his yearly two week genealogy trip to Salt Lake.  He was able to give us all kinds of advice and practical help.  He was also very entertaining.  What are the chances!
In the end we were able to locate the birth record of  my grandmother, Sophia Anna Drewes's, brother.  They came from a family of twelve children.  I've now identified ten of them.  Only two more to go!

No comments: